1/14/2007

January Second Saturday Sampler


Here we all are standing in line for the latest Second Saturday Sampler at Little Quilts. We go in 25 at a time to the classroom underneath the shop, this time to see how the main Sampler block set and all the alternative sets (blended, patriotic, feedsack, batik) have been made into tops. There was so much to look at, to consider, and decisions to try to make for the sets of blocks we've made through the year. They had two choices of suggested settings for the main group of blocks, and a different setting for each of the alternative settings. There was also a very, very cute setting for the applique snowman set that was offered concurrently in 2006 with the other block sets. I wanted to get the fabric kit for that snowman set even though I didn't do the snowman (!) with the idea of plugging in a different set of snowy wintry blocks, sigh. Bought the black and white fabric kit for the feedsack set, which I hadn't done, either, but I sort of wondered if it would go with a set that I did do (didn't go right), but it's the same notion, I would be happy to plug a different set of blocks into that black and white color scheme. I had an idea floating around in my mind for the setting for my "twin" sets that I have partly done, and their "Twist 'n Turn" by Sharyn Craig set suggestion for the feedsack group finished the thinking so I got that book and will probably do that type of setting for my Twin Group.

They had a trunk show from Lori Smith; what a treat to see one of these biggie Lori Smith quilts in person. There was also a large group on display of the "Big Stitch" technique; all of those quilts were just darling with the big stitches.

A cute display at check-out...

I have gotten way behind on the BOMs that I started connected with SSS. So I came home, cleaned up my sewing area, cleaned off my big desk surface, and got the four sets all organized:

Got these blocks finished, hope to get more done today:
I appreciate your comments recently so much; I'm hoping to reply in the blog later today to some of the comments I received that say "no reply" that I couldn't answer with a regular email. I guess the "no reply" is put there by blogger in order to create a gulf or barrier between those who have updated the format and those who haven't yet. Isn't Blogger a dear?
By the way, can somebody tell me about Paducah, Kentucky? What is it like, the town as a whole?

9 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

I love Lori Smith's quilts. I'd have loved to meet her. Samplers are such a great way of learing.

The Calico Cat said...

A line - wow!

I'd love the see the big stitch quilts...

Helen said...

25 in at a time? How many people are doing the Saturday Sampler? Wow!

Patti said...

Looks like a marvelous way to spend your time. And how I'd love to see some of Lori's quilts up close and personal! You are so lucky to live so close to such a marvelous shop - though it would sure make it hard to stick to a "no buy" resolution!

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your blocks.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh what fun all those blocks are and the fabrics waiting on your table! I wish I lived closer to GA!
I"m still stuck in old blogger, if you want to know some about Paducah email me. If it shows up as no reply go to my blog profile and there is a button that says email. I just hate the thought of actually typing it in the message here.

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

What a great way to spend the day!!! I wanted to stop by and leave my name for "delurking week". Have a wonderful day,
dawn

Libby said...

Sounds like a fun day at the quilt shop -- my head would have just been spinning.

Mary Johnson said...

Now I'm homesick! I went to one of the quilt shops here but didn't like it nearly as much as Little Quilts or Tiny Stitches.

I've been to Paducah but not during the quilt show. I took a couple longarm classes there. I really liked the museum and Hancocks of Paducah was fun to visit. There's a downtown area that's kind of cute but not very extensive. I'm not sure what it would be like during the quilt show.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I've been to Paducah and have had a quilt in the show. The town is all about quilting, they know it's an important part of their success/heritage. List of must see: MAQS-quilt museum; Hancock's-not the one you might already know; Patty's Settlement-best pie on the planet; Elanore Burn's tent show (only during big quilt show in spring). We stayed at a woman's house for a couple of days, twice-wonderful. If you want more, just let me know.