3/11/2009

Emails from College

DS made time for me last week-end on a trip back to Atlanta; we went to dinner.  Conversational snippets: 


DS: “So how’s poorpoorGinger?”

Mom: “She threw up in my moccasins.”

DS: “Sorry.”

Mom: “She’s your cat.”

DS: “Not anymore.”

...

Mom: “How’s your pizza delivery job?” [Recall that this is the DS who could now be excelling himself at either  the Air Force Academy or West Point]

DS: [with great relish] “Wow.  People are unusual [not his actual word].  They don’t know where they live.  If they have names, they don’t know them.  One guy didn’t have a house and asked us to deliver to the Wal-Mart parking lot.  He promised he would meet us there.”

Mom: “Are you learning anything  at that school?”

DS: “Sure Mom, I’m learning all about Gandhi.  In Gandhi class. But this guy at the Wal-Mart.  Turned out he actually did have a cabin.  Sort of.  Out in the woods.  He didn’t want us to come out there.  I think he was a [with enormous relish] squatter.

Mom: “Move to Milledgeville and see the world.”

... 

Mom: “I know what.  Let’s talk about quilting.”

DS: “You go first.”

Mom: “I’m working on this sampler medallion quilt; the center appliqué uses both freezer paper and fusible web for the reverse appliqué motif; there is a sawtooth border made of 360 half-square triangles, oh and don’t forget the Job’s Tears and Chip and Whetstone blocks.  There’s an inner border to stop the eye and a mix of lights and darks over the entire ground for sufficient contrast.  I started making the half-square triangles from scratch but then tried Thangles, which is working well, of course you have to cut right on the grain, but I may try the computer-generated Triangulations before I’m done, because you can also make quarter-square triangles with those.” 

DS: “Mom, do you have any friends?  I mean ones who come up to the door?”


Also went junking on Saturday.  Didn't buy anything, but aren't these pretty?  Ooo, I can just visualize repainting the first one and doing some decorative painting:


 

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see postings of conversations with son from college. We are living parallel lives; trust me! I say this with humor,love and a big hug!

KC Quilter said...

Oh, wow, do those conversations bring back memories?!!! Sounds like a great kid with a wicked sense of humor--my favorite!

Gretchen said...

Oh goodness I probably had similar conversations with my mom when I was in college. Just remember, this too shall pass LOL!!

Darcie said...

Lol He's funny! I'm surprised that my kiddos haven't come up with the same phrase: *ones who come up to the door*...for I'm always talking about my blogging friends. ;-)

buttonsagain said...

karen...

you slay me...milledgeville is a strange and unusual place...and it sounds like tim has adjusted to its quirkiness nicely...which is both admirable and frightening...

ohmy...where did you go junking?...btw milledgeville has a very good little antique mall...down the street from THE VELVET ELVIS...need i say more?

sending hugs...bb

Jeanne said...

Love your conversational snippets with your son! Does he read your blog? ♥

Carolyn said...

Thanks for the laugh...this all sounds so familiar! My son just moved back home from college...

Betsy said...

Karen that is too funny!
At least you talked about human /ok not so human things.
my son just goes on and on about his new cell phone. :(

Betty said...

You should have changed the conversation to dolls. :)

Brenda said...

Oh that's hysterical! I could just imagine his face when you started on the quilting...was there and eye roll in there, somewhere? Too funny!

The Calico Cat said...

"In Gandhi class" - classic... (But they way he went from that right back to the guy at Wal-mart - priceless!)

Libby said...

I love these conversations . . . . you really should consider putting them in a book *s*

Miri said...

You had me laughing..."Mom do you have any friends...that come to the door!" My DS has said the same thing! :)

*karendianne. said...

Oh my goodness sakes I'm sorry I couldn't stay with you after asking if you had friends that come up to the door! My side, my tears, my...oh dear nothing like a hard laugh.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh my gosh - your conversation snippets are sooooo funny!

Pat / Silver Thimble Quilt Co. said...

I laughed so hard I split my surgery stitches. And yes you tell him you do have "come to the door friends"

Pat

Polly said...

At least with blogging friends you don't need to clean house! But someday I WILL show up at your door! Meanwhile, I can't get into my gmail acct, I am in MT and all is well. Son has a very nice wife. I think this will work out well for all of us! LOL!

Polly said...

Oh shoot. Look at that! I am on my daughter's account! Told you I was having trouble! --Marcie

Jenni said...

That post cracks me up! It's your cat... not any more. "Do you have any friends that actually come to the door?" It's so true isn't it? I just spent an hour (or two) on the phone with my sister who lives on the other side of town, who I hardly ever see, and I was telling her that I work every weekend as I don't have anything else to do, and she said "no friends?", and I did say, 'well I've got my computer'...

Mary Johnson said...

Milledgeville -- wow, I'd never even heard of the town until my son moved there a few years ago when he got his internship at the Ritz Carlton at Reynolds Plantation. We found a great *little* apartment that he could afford without any roommates. He since moved a little closer to work but I get the sense there's not much out there in Milledgeville.

Tanya said...

I laughed at your conversations too. I've heard that one about whether or not I do anything else besides quilt!