6/19/2009

Stickle Here Stickle There...and Marcie!

First the Under the Mistletoe quilt. I was delighted to find that I have birchbark fabric in two shades that should be great for the background. Snowflakes and birchbark in a Christmas quilt, what could be better? I'm so excited about this quilt. The red fabric is another Moda, but not Mistletoe Manor.


The Stickles.


Plus last night at Dear Jane support group, we all tried out hand-piecing. The only hand-piecing I have ever done was to complete some short partial seams in another Dear Jane block, and I can't say I was thinking about technique at the time, I just wanted to get 'er done. Fortunately, one of our group had very recently taken the Cindy Blackberg workshop on hand piecing, so T. showed us how to do it.

I finished this one this morning, and am very happy with it. It's only a skinny schooch under the 5" size.


I'm leaving now to pick up Marcie from her daughter's house and we're going to spend the afternoon together! What if we don't like each other and we rip each other to pieces?? Oh dear this could turn into a very dramatic blog. Stay tuned.

8 comments:

Lori said...

Lovely Stickle blocks and your hand piecing looks so nice and neat and even!

Darcie said...

lol You two will get along just splendidly! ;-)

Karen said...

You and Marcie. Mmmmm. I can see you two getting into some serious trouble together. Update us soon about the meeting. Maybe I will rush up to your neck of the woods and observe.
Cindy Blackberg was my first quilting instructor. She is a super teacher. My first class was a Mariner's Compass.

Karen said...

You did a wonderful job on your hand piecing. A great tip I learnt when I started to hand piece (so your finished block is the correct size) is not to stitch right on the seamline, but just to the outside of it.

Christine said...

I actually enjoy hand piecing although I never seem to have much time for it. Yours looks lovely. It's nice how accurate you can be with it, huh?

Vivian said...

One reason I started my Dear Jane quilt was to learn how to hand piece and hand applique. I'm too much of a "hurry up and finish it" person. My blocks are by no means perfect--in fact some are downright sloppy--but I'm learning something new.
Your fabric choices are lovely.

KC Quilter said...

Love the Stickle stuff and your handpiecing. HP is fun to do but so-o-o slow, well--for me anyway!!! How fun you'll meet Marcie and play. Let us know how you spend your day!!

Marilyn Robertson said...

Your Stickle blocks are great, along with your hand piecing one too! I like to hand piece from time to time and find it enjoyable.