7/08/2008

Newly-Hatched and Ancient

Named the kitten Rembrandt Palette:

As I stumbled out of the hallway at 5am a few days ago, Rembrandt swooped at me waist-high out of nowhere like a rabid flying squirrel. DS Timothy says that too many things make me scream.

Much straightening up and thinning of the fabric and project areas these past several days. Pulled out these old/rejected/ugly fabrics, determined to dispose of them:
I'm glad they're out of the reproduction cupboard and the fabric closet, but this stack started to look pretty good:

so I tried making a big Spider Web with seven of them. What fun to experiment with a new block and to suddenly use up a bunch of old stash:

Also thinned, adjusted, or relocated pending projects and groups of fabric that I want to keep together that are housed in these plastic containers:

Hooray, there are now seven empty large containers (the top guys).
Of course all of this straightening led to some perusal of old projects. This set of nine antique feedsack blocks have been lying on a shelf for years, puzzled as to why they had been sashed with a reproduction blue feedsack print busy enough to completely obscure the blocks themselves. I took all apart and re-sashed them with ugly/old/reject fabrics. Machine-quilted it and bound it with a Kaffe Fassett Lichen print:

Oh, and here's the back of it, also from old stash:

A finish, Peg! Ended up putting the Uglies and Oldies in their own area since it appears they may still be useful.



16 comments:

Betsy said...

your fabrics actually look quite nice and I like the way the web block looks.

Libby said...

Backs are the perfect spot for the uglies . . . suddenly they don't seem so ugly any more *s* Love that spiderweb . . . hmmmmm - I may just have to try one on for size.

Thimbleanna said...

What a great name for your new kitty! And could you please come and help me clean up my fabric mess? Yours looks all fabulous and tidy!!!

Paula said...

Cute little quilt, and I'm loving your spider web block.

Unknown said...

That spiders web is looking good in those lovely toffee colours

sewkalico said...

That's a cute kitty name! Thought your DS's comment really funny LOL
What a neat cupboard, I'm in awe!

Paula, the quilter said...

This block is very similar to the one Elaine Adair Pieces did. I really like it. I had to smile at the organized shelves you have. Check out the second photo in this post. We even label the boxes the same!

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

Wow, I love the spiderweb block - I can't believe they came from rejects!!! :) Looks awesome!

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

I had to leave you a comment, have used some of your fabrics for my Missouri Stars Blocks, just love them! Love your quilt, and that spiderweb block, how beautiful! They are in no way, rejects!
Hugs, Mary
http://mary-myneedlethread.blogspot.com

Put A Fork In It said...

What a beautiful kitten!!! Colors to make a quilter swoon LOL. Your web block is gorgeous. Love all your organization too.

KC Quilter said...

Ooops, that last comment should have come from kcquilter--signed in on the wrong blog!

MARCIE said...

The Rembrandt name actually fits! And your screaming at being attacked by a flying cat is totally acceptable! Love your spider web block and that backing is really horrid! Ha! Love that! Things are winding down here. See ya!

Unknown said...

Lovely way to use up old stash and it looks great! Your little Rembrandt looks like a past cat I had named mottled Molly. She was a peice of work! Climbed as high as she could including resting on the top ledge of an open bedroom door only to leap in front of unsuspecting passerbys...She lived a good long life,21 years.

Cornfield Quilter said...

I just love the spiderweb block! I think I will try that with some of my leftovers.
Your kitten is so cute! Big name for such a little guy! :D

Bonnie K. Hunter said...

I love what you've been up to! Can you come organize me??? PLEASE?! I also have a closet that is just oldies and uglies...stuff good for backings and sleeves and charity quilts. Yes, it is still useful, and I plan on using it!

Bonnie

Sharyn Mallow Woerz said...

love your kitties and your stash, KalamaQuilts