1/17/2007

Orange Quilt w/Big Stitch and Class(es)

Oh! A Little Quilts "Stitch 'n Sew" session was cancelled for this Friday evening (bring a project to work on for a nice long evening/visit/pizza) because Yours Truly was the only one to sign up. Would anybody else in Little Quilts vicinity be interested in doing this? Call today and sign up! Although this has made me decide to try to jump back into the Jo Morton class, which I had decided I should skip this time since I signed up for three other classes/activities.

Here is all of the cute orange quilt with the Big Stitches:

Had a great class last night at Little Quilts. Stash Sisters. Hints and projects to use up some of our Stash. This is the one where we meet for dinner beforehand at the Sidelines Grill right next to the shop; since I have been doing Weight Watchers faithfully for five months now (190.8/154/135...boy is it coming off slowly now) and rarely go to a restaurant and never to a drive-thru type place, have never had a hamburger and fries, this meal out is a Total Treasured Treat (chicken quesadillas appetizer). Anyway, one Stash Buster suggestion is a charm quilt, example shown here that Mary Ellen made long ago:

Here is the beginnings of putting together one of my set of alternate blocks from 2006 Second Saturday Sampler, using Sharyn Craig's Twist 'n Turn technique. I usually don't do these wild and crazy (!) things, and it's fun to try it:

Usually you do this thing with a square block. She has an example or two of rectangular blocks in her book, with the caption "it is trickier to do the figuring for a rectangular block..." but no instructions. This is the second set of strips I put on for the block set, having destroyed the first set with experimental cutting, but after a little session with pencil and graph paper, I got it figured out.

13 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Who would have thought that something so simple would be so effective.... Orange & lights... (I always use my orange as a light - with dark blue or purple) Definately something here to think about...

Melanie said...

Looks like summertime to me...I love the srappy charm quilt.

Libby said...

Wow - those oranges looks great. I don't think I have much orange in my stash, but maybe I should rethink that.
Your Weight Watchers stats are great. Congratulations -- very inspiring *S*

Carol said...

The little orange quilt is great. Thanks for sharing the charm quilt picture also. Congratulations on your great weight loss. What an inspiration you are!

Patti said...

Oh, I'd sign up in a minute if I lived nearby. But then it's probably a good thing for my "no buy" pledge that I DON'T live nearby!

Gail said...

I'm hoping for enough bad weather that everything (like work) will be cancelled tomorrow. They say we should get sleet, right??? How about you, wouldn't you prefer to stay home in jammies and sew?

dot said...

I ove the orange quilt. I have to admit orange is my favorite color so my eye goes there immediately. Sorry to hear you class has been canceled, I am sure there is a good reason. Enjoy just sewing at home.

Anonymous said...

Gee, if those are big stitches what are your little stitches like! The little quilt is wonderful and congrats on your weight loss - I must jump on the wagon too :-)

Lucy said...

oohh I see your girlie again. i have to pick up that project.. I want to make something small , tho my daughter like it so much she want to have a whole quilt with girlies :-)) I wish I don't need sleep !

Lynn Dykstra said...

l love the orange quilt!

Quilts And Pieces said...

I'll post my version of that Jo Morton little star quilt on my blog.... It turned out cute too....

Samantha said...

Your little orange quilt is lovely!

Shelina said...

All of these quilts are gorgeous. I especially like the orange stars. I am going to have to buy some orange fabric.