7/24/2006

Yo-Yo Method




It has been so interesting to read everybody's blogs this late spring and summer. I had planned to spend my summer off doing as much quilting as possible, which I did, and doing my own blog has certainly helped me accomplish more quilting than I would have otherwise. It's a great accompaniment to quilting, isn't it? I thank everybody who has posted comments; it is most appreciated. I finished the next three blocks in the Folk Art Applique quilt pattern, which makes 7/12 so far:

Had to try out the Large Yo Yo idea; here it is with feedsack yo-yos on 4" squares:

I started off doing a lot of the yo-yo by hand, including attaching them to the backing along the yo-yo edges, which made them flat and horrible looking, but then a Method for doing them came to mind, several in process using the Method shown here:

I'm so proud of myself for coming up with it. This way, I sewed them all by machine, no handwork, and they're poofy around the edges like a yo-yo is supposed to be. So far, it measures 20x24". I'm intending this to be at least sofa curl-up-with size...does anybody have any ideas on what to add next?

10 comments:

Juliann in WA said...

every time I see your folk art applique blocks I want more and more to do that pattern.
love your yo-yos too - very fresh and fun

Darlene said...

your folk art applique blocks are gorgeous. You'll have them finished very soon. And, the
yo-yo quilt is going to be adorable. I'll be anxious to see that one that shape.

Gail said...

The applique is (as always) wonderful, it is really looking good.

The Calico Cat said...

clever yoyos! (I am going to try something to get the same basic look - completely different fabrics - but I am going to do the raw edge applique.... I am hoping for quick almost "instant" gratification!)

Tonya Ricucci said...

beautiful sampler - love your colors. That antique basket quilt is marvelous - loved the closeups of those baskets.

Tracey said...

Well haven't you been a busy girl? Everything looks wonderful! I especially love the folk art quilt...but then, that's no surprise, huh? ;o)

Judy said...

Everything looks wonderful!! Love the applique blocks! The yo-yos are fun! Are you sewing the cricle first then drawing it up?

Catherine said...

Can you share the yo yo method? I would love to see it done by machine. Oh, and your applique blocks are beeee-utiful.

Laurie Ann said...

That yo yo quilt looks fun! I wouldn't make one with the little yo yos, but that one looks cool. I love the chart you have on the side with your quilty progress!

Hanne said...

Lovely primitive blocks ! The more I see primitive blocks the more I want to make some :-)