7/31/2006

Quilt for a Cat

Thank you all for your comments last post, including your encouragements to join the NoBuy in August...sigh...which begins in two hours my time, oh goodness, and I couldn't visit the LQS today, last day of July, because I had to work on a very disagreeable home project today. Well, maybe I could do the NoBuy with the exception of BOM Saturday at the LQS. Wait, wait! I don't have any more muslin in case I get another top put together. Muslin. Do you all use the muslin from Joann's/Wal-Mart or do you think it's important to use a better quality muslin?? And Bonnie, Bonnie, I totally agree with you, it would be a shame to miss any good fabric sales in August. And wait, wait! I have two 10% off coupons to the LQS just burning a hole in my purse. Oh well, I'll try. There are probably one or two scraps of fabric around here that I could amuse myself with during August. Just one or two.

A few days ago, I made the leader fabric strips for my hand quilting frame and put the 4th pole on for the batting; got a quilt all loaded on there just the way it's supposed to be and it's great. At first, because I already had a few quilts sandwiched and basted, I stuffed the whole thing into the grooves on the poles, so hard to do 'cause it was so thick and I got so mad. It's certainly easier to stuff the fabric leaders into those grooves :-).

I got this mini-quilt done for my cat Jack to sleep on at the foot of my bed. This was the $3 bundle from the sale. Doesn't show up, but there's meandering and outlining in the center portion and you can see the feathers a bit in the border.

This is what I've done so far on the Halloween wall hanging...

The plan is to make a scalloped edging with the outer fabric, the black that has what looks kind of like fireflies on it.

5 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

Fun. so those are fireflies? I thought they were masks with glowing eyes- great fabric whichever way you look at it.

The Calico Cat said...

Is that applique on your cats quilt? (I am hoping to hear that it s a cheater otherwise my cats are going to be very jealous - as if they stuck to their own quilts as it is....)

I use Joannes muslin - no bad effects & I wash in an agitating washer with regular detergent and dry in a dryer on high heat...

Libby said...

You have a very lucky kitty -- all the other kitties will be jealous of his fine quilt.
I use Joanne's muslin, too. When I run low, I use my coupon to buy a full bolt. Then I have it on hand whenever I have a need. It feels decadent to have a whole bolt of fabric -- even if it Joanne's muslin.

Judy said...

I don't use muslin for my backs. I always buy my backing fabric at the LQS in the sale corner. That way it's the same quality of fabric as the front, but on sale for 30% to 50% off. I worry about using the muslin because I don't want the front to last 50 years and then have the backing fall apart after 5 years. But it's a personal choice. I always like to make my hanging sleeve out of a main front fabric too so that if something happens with the front I can pull it off and patch using the fabric.

Very lucky cat!

ForestJane said...

That looks like an awfully good quilt top to make into a cat cuddle blanket!

I like what you've done on the Halloween hanging too. What are the sayings underneath?