12/09/2009

It Was Cold at Valley Forge

Last night, our Repro Divas leader took us on a visit to Valley Forge, Christmas Time; we heard about George Washington and especially about how Martha Washington was there during that terrible winter and did so much to help out (from the New York Times, 1899):

In fact, Martha came to visit us in one of her loveliest dresses!
Martha made every stitch of the garments she is wearing herself, exactly according to the most popular and typical fashion of her day.

She brought us Shrewsbury Cakes, Joe Froggers, and mulled cider, just as she was doing for the troops. She showed us all the details of her outfit, from panniers to chemise to corset, which she would not have done for the troops. She also showed us this lovely quilt she made using the Hunter Star ruler sent to her from the future:
note the lovely Watteau pleating in the dress back...


Our leader, Kathy, made this patriotic quilt for her husband (who loves to read about history) for Christmas:

Show and Tell followed; this gorgeous quilt is a Christmas gift:

a Hunter Star table runner:

We had a suggested theme of red and green for this month's Show and Tell:

Cute!


Here is mine (28" x 32"). The background is a washed-out green:

We exchanged huswifs!


This is the one I brought home, made by N. Thank you, I love it and will love using it!

And finally, Martha and George (aka Noble Leader Kathy) gave us each the assignment (written on parchment, rolled and tied) for next meeting: make something using the fabric gift below:
This oughta be good! Stay tuned (by the way, any ideas for what to make with it?).

13 comments:

Lori said...

Wow! It looks like a great time with a lot of inspiration. I love history and anytime history and quilting can be brought together is good!
I jsut finished a Geo Washingotn medallion quilt. That panel is so lovely!

Julie-Ann said...

Oh - how fun! I love Martha! The gifts are adorabe and useful.

How about a little schoolroom quilt using George. After all, every school room use to have a picture of him. Seems like Jeannie (of Ye Olde Schoolhouse Quilt Store) did something along this line.

I want to join this group. Too bad it is a long commute!

Laurie in Iowa said...

What a great time you all must have had! Loved all the quilts in the show and tell. Wonderful idea to exchange huswifes.

andsewon said...

Oh my what a fun time you had!! All those show and tells and Martha too! The gifts are so wonderful too!!
Look forward to what YOU come up with! I know it will be awesome!
Lola

Nancy Cummings said...

Hi Karen,
Great posting. You helped me learn what I missed in class, 'cause I was late. The little blues dresden pattern came from Galloping Pony. I just love it. Fun to make and so verstile. I also got the idea to add the lace from some of her designs, too. I'm glad you got it. it was fun to make.

Betty said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Gretchen said...

Look like a fabulous and fun time at your gathering. A little medallion quilt wallhanging would be nice with the George fabric.

MARCIE said...

I love it when you post pictures from class! The huswifs are darling! What a fun exchange. Martha is wonderful! I would love this class!

Taryn said...

Thanks for sharing the class with us. I am so jealous. Your December quilt is great--I wish the photo showed the colors better because I am sure it is even prettier in "real life."

Micki said...

I loved to visit Valley Forge and the quilts are terrific!
Micki

Gypsy Quilter said...

Wow, what a fun show and tell with Martha! Great G.W. fabric. I can invision a banner with the word liberty at the top and star blocks all around, maybe, hmmm possibilities.

YankeeQuilter said...

This is the neatest group I have heart of!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love those huswifs! They are so cool! Hope you have a great 2010! I have a ton of catching up to do!