7/31/2011

Glad I Visited the Antique Mall

I just got this quilt at a mall in Cleveland GA. The dealer said that she purchased it at an estate sale close to the Georgia-Florida state line. It is pieced on both sides and has so many neat old prints, many of which appear to be very early, even to my rather untrained eye:
A friend told me that it looks like some of the fabrics date to 1830-1880 based on pictures in Eileen Trestain's Dating Fabrics: A Color Guide 1800-1960. It has sort of a "my ancestors were English" look to it, don't you think?

It isn't in as good shape as it looks in the pictures, lumpy batting, some fabrics shattered, etc. It is mostly fascinating because of the enormous variety of prints. I may pick it apart to have a supply of antique fabrics to make small wall hangings with and to keep as a little repository for fabric study. It is hand-pieced, of course, and tied rather than quilted, so the picking won't be too bad.

BB CW #31:

19 comments:

Betty Lou said...

What a beautiful quilt, a real study in antique fabrics of the time. Do you have any idea of the time period?

Dawn said...

Oh...be still my heart - what a beautiful study piece! You are a licky girl!!

Taryn said...

Congratulations on your find!! It has an English look to me, too. Have fun inspecting all your fabrics. You will have to post some close up photos.

Libby said...

What a find . . . but I am confused. Is it one quilt or two?

KC Quilter said...

Oh, wow, what a great treasure your quilt-find is!!! Good catch.

Susie said...

Would love to see it in person. Can you post some close ups of the fabrics?

mereth said...

I agree we need some close ups of the fabric, this looks fascinating. I'm glad you could find a treasure like this, and double-sided is just a bonus!

Vivian said...

I'd love to see some closeup photos too. That's quite a find. I'm sure I'd have been hyperventilating if I'd seen it. No luck at antique malls around here.
Such a treasure. Enjoy studying every little piece of it!

Lori said...

What a lovely find!! No harm to take it apart and use it for small quilts.

Lynn said...

So glad you rescued this beautiful quilt. And so happy you shared it here. I would have had to do the same.

Marilyn Robertson said...

Oh, what a find! I love the fact that it is pieced on the front and the back. That quilted worked hard to get a quilt in the bed! Thanks for sharing it with us.

The Calico Cat said...

That back is so curious...

Aunt 'Reen said...

What an amazing find! Thank you for sharing pictures of this wonderful antique quilt!

Karen said...

Excellent find, such a beauty!!!!

Sheila said...

Wow! That quilt is stunning. You will have quite a fabric stash from that beauty. Good going!!

deb said...

wow lucky you..its awesome!!!!

Sue said...

Those fabrics do look really old, and what a lot of work someone put into it. Don't you wish you could know the whole story about who made it, when & why?

Melisa @ Sweet Home said...

Terrific find, Karen! Don't you love happening upon something so wonderful that just speaks to you!

LuAnn said...

What a great quilt...and pieced on both sides. You could end up with some cute little quilts. I love that setting with the broken dishes with strips between.